Saturday, July 4, 2009

Le Weekend


I first must apologize for leaving everyone hanging since the heat stroke incident. I had a good day of stomach cramps and a headache from the dehydration, but I am feeling much better now. I want to also thank all of you for showing your concern, interest and love for me. I need an extra dose of that while I'm 5493 miles away. (Yeah I looked it up).
The work hasn't gotten easier and my legs are more cut up from those nasty brambles more than ever, but I am getting used to it. The heat will always be hot and thework won't always be fun, but I can get used to it. I need to look past these difficult things and try and remember that I'm in France having an experience that not everyone gets to have. I try and be thankful every day to be here learning with these great people-and not to mention the great food!
Yesterday, we went to the beach which was absolutely magnificent! I love knowing that I swam in the Mediteranean Sea :) This beach was much better than Prado, the one I went to in Marseille. The water was clear blue and very very salty, and the beach was made up of small pebbles instead of big rocks. I evened out my tan a bit which is good because I was getting some pretty rediculous tan lines. Overall, it was a good day: swimming, picnic lunch, giant cosmopolitan, great company. Today is completely dedicated to relaxation. I am actually going to try and write something figurative because the people I saw in the town yesterday were very inspiring. I will try and write them in a way that will paint a picture for you all. Here's just a glimpse:
The four of us sat at the outdoor cafe, three coffees and a coke.It was early yet and the afternoon sun hadn't beamed down on us full force. A bit of relief. We were the talking figures in a cream-colored landscape and the conversation was a bit out of my realm so I took to observing all that was around me: the crowded, narrow streets, the stone buildings with colored shutters, the ongoing smell of tobacco. In this small town everyone knew everyone, except for us tourists and so each new person into the cafe was greeted with a series of kisses. Was that a bit of pink lipstick I saw left on the cheek? I find this ritual beautiful and wish they did it where I come from. A sip of espresso, I prefer mine black. One bit of sugar was one bit too sweet. The sound of a motorbike can be heard around the curving road. Louder, louder and then something quite shocking. When one is used to seeing a gentleman or lady on the motorbikes, there was no doubt I was surprised to see an older woman with short grey hair and a teal, flowy dress, accessorized with a helmet come round the corner. All four of our heads turn, our eyes following in here down the street. A smile spreads accross my face and know this moment was beautiful and I will not forget it.
To me, these details are more important to describe than the beach. However wonderful it was, we can all picture a beach. But this brief memory isn't as recognizable and it's rarity makes it important and worth sharing.
More to come and all is well. I send my thoughts and my love through these words.

No comments:

Post a Comment